Cheesy Fondue Soup Recipe
As seen on The Happi House! Check out the episode segment here!
Cheesy Fondue Soup
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 small Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, chopped and divided)
- 1/2 cup carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 small yellow onion (rough chopped)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese (room temperature)
- 4 oz grated smoked gouda cheese (room temperature)
- 6 oz smoked sausage (kielbasa, bratwurst) cut into bite-sized pieces
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots, garlic, onion and ½ the apples and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the flour and Worcestershire sauce, stir to evenly coat the apples and veggies. Cook for 1 – 2 more minutes, then add the chicken stock and apple cider and stir to thicken. Simmer for 5 – 7 minutes, then using a blender, puree the soup until smooth and free of chunks. Transfer the pureed soup back to the saucepan and cook over low heat. Slowly add the cream. Stir to combine, then add in both cheeses and stir to melt.
In a saute pan over medium heat, cook the chopped sausage until slightly browned, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Add the remaining chopped apple to the pan and saute until slightly softened, then add the sausage back in and give it a toss.
To serve, spoon the soup into large bowls and top with sausage and apple saute.
Serve with warm baguette.
The Happi House is an entertaining and informative weekly magazine style television series for women. Hosted by Happi Olson, Lifestyle Expert, each episode is full of robust content on a variety of fun and useful topics such as homemade beauty products, hosting unique children’s parties, fashion trends, family vacation tips and tricks, DIY home décor, easy family meals and more.