Chicken Recipes: Roast Chicken, Chicken Soup, and Chicken SaladThe Happi House
Happi’s “Not-a-Recipe” Recipe for Roasted Chicken
- 1 chicken, whole—rinsed and dried inside and out
- Some veggies—choose what you like. Onions are a good base. Happi likes carrots, zucchini, and squash. Roughly 4 cups when all are cut
- Some seasoning—pick what you love and for sure include salt and pepper! You will probably want a couple of generous teaspoons when all is said and done. Rosemary is a classic, and Happi’s favorite! And don’t forget those handy all-in-one seasonings!
- Garlic—a few teaspoons will really turn up the flavor
- Olive Oil—a few heaping tablespoons will probably do the trick
- Butter—enough to melt and cover your chicken
- 1 Lemon cut in half
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
STEP 1: Make a cozy bed of veggies for your chicken. Place in pan.
STEP 2: Drizzle veggies with olive oil and seasonings.
STEP 3: Stuff the chicken. Add your onion and garlic, seasonings, and lemon. Place chicken on top of vegetables.
STEP 4: Brush your chicken with melted butter and sprinkle with seasonings.
STEP 5: Cook chicken until it is browned and crisp and the juices run clear. A thermometer should register to 160 degrees. Let rest for 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Happi’s Chicken Soup (Made from Leftovers)
- Cooked Chicken from leftovers, or meat from a rotisserie chicken—a couple of cups of large, bite-sized pieces
- 2-3 cups of pasta, par-boiled. Shape and amount is up to you!
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- Seasonings—definitely use salt and pepper, and then add what you love according to your own taste. (You can’t go wrong with an all-in-one Italian seasoning mix here.)
STEP 1: Add chicken to stock pot or Dutch oven.
STEP 2: Veggies go in next.
STEP 3: Add your broth.
STEP 4: Season to taste.
STEP 5: Cook on medium on stove until veggies are cooked through or on low if you are using pre-cooked, frozen vegetables.
STEP 6: 4-5 minutes before serving, add your partially-cooked pasta. Heat and enjoy!
Happi’s Chicken Salad (Made with Leftover Chicken)
- Cooked chicken from leftovers, or meat from a rotisserie chicken—a couple of cups of large, bite-sized pieces
- Salad greens of your choosing. Buy your favorite or purchase a pre-washed mixed greens container
- Vegetables—again, pick your faves! Happi likes cucumber, colorful peppers, corn, and scallions. Anything goes here, people!
- Dressing—again, this is customizable. Vinegar. Oil. And season to taste. Happi’s favorite dressing for a chopped salad is below.
STEP 1: Place your favorite clean, mixed salad greens in a large bowl.
STEP 2: Add a variety of colorful vegetables and/or beans.
STEP 3: Throw in your cooked chicken pieces.
STEP 4: Toss with dressing to taste, or store undressed for future use.
Dressing for Happi’s Chopped Salad
- Roughly 3 parts oil—olive, vegetable, or whatever kind of oil you prefer
- Roughly 1 part vinegar—pick your favorite. Cider vinegar goes nicely with this chopped salad. But virtually any vinegar will brighten up this easy and colorful salad.
- Seasonings—definitely add salt and pepper. But go nuts here! Have any fresh herbs from your garden? Have some cumin left over from a chili? Use it! A teaspoon of cumin in your dressing will provide a great Southwestern taste. Oh, and let us not forget that a little Dijon mustard gives every vinaigrette that perfect tang.
Whisk ingredients to combine. Add desired amount to salad and toss. Store any unused dressing in the refrigerator. Enjoy!