Chicken Recipes: Roast Chicken, Chicken Soup, and Chicken Salad
Happi’s “Not-a-Recipe” Recipe for Roasted Chicken
- 1 chicken, whole—rinsed and dried inside and out
- Some veggies—choose what you like. Onions are a good base. Happi likes carrots, zucchini, and squash. Roughly 4 cups when all are cut
- Some seasoning—pick what you love and for sure include salt and pepper! You will probably want a couple of generous teaspoons when all is said and done. Rosemary is a classic, and Happi’s favorite! And don’t forget those handy all-in-one seasonings!
- Garlic—a few teaspoons will really turn up the flavor
- Olive Oil—a few heaping tablespoons will probably do the trick
- Butter—enough to melt and cover your chicken
- 1 Lemon cut in half
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
STEP 1: Make a cozy bed of veggies for your chicken. Place in pan.
STEP 2: Drizzle veggies with olive oil and seasonings.
STEP 3: Stuff the chicken. Add your onion and garlic, seasonings, and lemon. Place chicken on top of vegetables.
STEP 4: Brush your chicken with melted butter and sprinkle with seasonings.
STEP 5: Cook chicken until it is browned and crisp and the juices run clear. A thermometer should register to 160 degrees. Let rest for 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Happi’s Chicken Soup (Made from Leftovers)
- Cooked Chicken from leftovers, or meat from a rotisserie chicken—a couple of cups of large, bite-sized pieces
- 2-3 cups of pasta, par-boiled. Shape and amount is up to you!
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- Seasonings—definitely use salt and pepper, and then add what you love according to your own taste. (You can’t go wrong with an all-in-one Italian seasoning mix here.)
STEP 1: Add chicken to stock pot or Dutch oven.
STEP 2: Veggies go in next.
STEP 3: Add your broth.
STEP 4: Season to taste.
STEP 5: Cook on medium on stove until veggies are cooked through or on low if you are using pre-cooked, frozen vegetables.
STEP 6: 4-5 minutes before serving, add your partially-cooked pasta. Heat and enjoy!
Happi’s Chicken Salad (Made with Leftover Chicken)
- Cooked chicken from leftovers, or meat from a rotisserie chicken—a couple of cups of large, bite-sized pieces
- Salad greens of your choosing. Buy your favorite or purchase a pre-washed mixed greens container
- Vegetables—again, pick your faves! Happi likes cucumber, colorful peppers, corn, and scallions. Anything goes here, people!
- Dressing—again, this is customizable. Vinegar. Oil. And season to taste. Happi’s favorite dressing for a chopped salad is below.
STEP 1: Place your favorite clean, mixed salad greens in a large bowl.
STEP 2: Add a variety of colorful vegetables and/or beans.
STEP 3: Throw in your cooked chicken pieces.
STEP 4: Toss with dressing to taste, or store undressed for future use.
Dressing for Happi’s Chopped Salad
- Roughly 3 parts oil—olive, vegetable, or whatever kind of oil you prefer
- Roughly 1 part vinegar—pick your favorite. Cider vinegar goes nicely with this chopped salad. But virtually any vinegar will brighten up this easy and colorful salad.
- Seasonings—definitely add salt and pepper. But go nuts here! Have any fresh herbs from your garden? Have some cumin left over from a chili? Use it! A teaspoon of cumin in your dressing will provide a great Southwestern taste. Oh, and let us not forget that a little Dijon mustard gives every vinaigrette that perfect tang.
Whisk ingredients to combine. Add desired amount to salad and toss. Store any unused dressing in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
The Happi House is an entertaining and informative weekly magazine style television series for women. Hosted by Happi Olson, Lifestyle Expert, each episode is full of robust content on a variety of fun and useful topics such as homemade beauty products, hosting unique children’s parties, fashion trends, family vacation tips and tricks, DIY home décor, easy family meals and more.